Friday, October 5, 2012

Big Goals Ahead

 So I was watching John Green's latest video about What to do With Your Life and he mentioned how narrowing your choices, or picking certain paths scares us because that means we have much less options. Which got me thinking about all the paths that I've [assed up, and how they've got me to where I am today.

There is one path though, that I have never wanted to let go of, and that is to redefine how people look at a story.
History is a story that isn't just told through a narrative, but through memories, newspapers, paintings, photographs, old houses, and trash you find in a dump. So why, when people think of telling a story, do they automatically think of writing a narrative?

one of my goals coming out of high school was to create a website to support a storyline that is told through every medium. For example: The introduction could be a police file on each character, and the next part of the story could be a characters home video blog, and the next a newspaper article of a major event, and the next an old photograph or a faded advertisement, and the next the beginning of a soundtrack. It could include recipe's, and costume/make-up design's, and concept art. (AND a top notch project like this might be good to reference for future jobs in such career paths....just something to think about ;).
as I thought more about it, I realized how much I really, really want to make this a reality.  I know it will take an amazing crew of authors, photographers, actors, directors, costume designers, web designers etc, to make this happen, but I think it can be done`, and I want to make it, if possible, a Nerdfighter exclusive project, something that Nerdfighters can definitely claim as their own.

Thus I have decided TO MAKE THIS MY GOAL FOR 2013.

What's that saying again? Go big or go home.






 HOW TO BEGIN


First on the list would be to decide on a storyline that would best fit such a concept. What do you guys think would be best?

ARCADIA (SciFi)
A galactic enemy has been systematically wiping out all Civilizations, starting with the most advanced, to the military strong, etc. They have just defeated Sabre, and are now coming for Arcadia, the last planet able to travel in space (barely). They are Scavengers, all of their technology comes from the pieces of junk other races have left behind, and now they are the last defense against this enemy.

Lullaby Moon (Fantasy-ish)
When you go to sleep you enter the dream world, a place where years can pass in mere minutes, but most don't understand it is a "real" place. Some people have the ability to control this world and step into other peoples dreams. These people guard us from the dangers of sleeping called Couldhavebeens/Nightmares (because if any one were to die in their dreams then they die in real life), these are creatures who work for an enemy who seeks to destroy the Lullaby moon (which is what keeps the dream world alive in a sense?).
Main character would be a "He is Our Best" good guy who is ordered try and recruit/train a new person who has recently been discovered at being really good at controlling dreams/jumping into others.

This one isn't a very hashed out plot, I haven't really ever attempted a fantasy like plot before that can still be semi realistic (in other words it would require a lot of help from other fantasy writers to get it up and going as a plot). The plus of this one is that anything goes because it's all based in people's dreams. I was thinking the main character could be a coma patient who appears differently to different people.

Stronger Than Red (post-apocalyptic)
After a nuclear war/EMP/something dramatic the world has returned to a mostly tribal state that rejects any form of technology. If some one declares themselves an "Inventor" they would be burned at the stake (like the Salem witch trials). It would follow the path of an undercover Inventor who is trying to recreate something simple like a watch.


These are my top three. they're pro and con's to each, which do you guys think? Or do you have a better one?

After a plot is decided upon I would like to present it to the nerdfighter community to start looking for web designers to help figure out technicalities and creative writers to iron out main details.



This project is definitely nothing like the path I picked for my life, but who says you can't walk two paths at once? ;)


 thanks for Listening to my Ramblings Again,
Avent-Garde


P.S. When John Green mentioned an electrician volunteering on archeological digs I legitimately yelled 'Mom, I think he's met dad', because that is my father, an electrician who volunteers constantly on Archeological digs. No joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment