Friday, July 6, 2012

A Day in the Life of Inmate 200

It's Friday!!!!!!!! And my first actual day off in........a very long time. No school AND no work! Whatever will I do with myself?
So my schedule varies a bit, I work a closing shift in the bakery weekdays, but weekends I either work morning shift (12:00 A.M. - 8:30 A.M.) or if  they DESPERATELY need a Night Checker, I do that too. I'll take you through a weekday since those are the ones I do the most. :)

A typical day starts with waking up at 8:00 to the lovely sun burning a hole through my skull as I have no air conditioning. I glare at it in revenge, and then I get up and don my super suite to do the daily four mile morning bike ride.

I get back around 9:30ish and take a shower because I smell like I've been biking way to long in 90 degree weather.

10:00 ish, I get my lovely books and begin to study. This usually includes a nice cup of coffee from the best family owned coffee shop in the world.  Twice a week I take my study party on the road and actually go to this wonderful coffee shop. Tuesday's I go to an Arabic Study Group where we find stuff like this to help us "learn":



Okay, so maybe we're WAY past the alphabet, but hey, Sesame Street!

12:30 I put on my Prison Uniform (commonly known as my baking uniform)! It's black and blue so to blend with my skin after dealing with other inmates all night. The clever Prison Warden thought I wouldn't notice.

1:00 I leave the nice peaceful place called home, usually to the tune of  awesome!





1:29 - Someone tries to kill me in the parking lot, I mentally criticize myself for my possible last thoughts being "Great, now how am I going to find out what happens to Jem?" Admit it, you've had those moments too.

1:30 I clock into the Prisonyard. I say hello to The Dealer, not by choice.

                                                       THE DEALER
                              Sentence: Life in Prison for repetitive drug use.

I actively avoid The Visitor Center, (They're never happy, ever. EVER.) which takes me past Arts and Crafts, and on to the Bakery.

1:00 - I bake the cookies, organize the remaining donuts, (NEVER buy from a doughnut case, you will not believe the horrors I have seen kids do to the poor things inside.) Take out the back stock, wave to The Butchers, markdown day old bread, and hurl harmless insults at Produce.

2:30 - Take out the first batch of bread, roll, pound, slice, and put in proofer. Take cookies out of oven, package cookies while sharing gossip with Cake Decorators. Rejoice because the last manager goes home and they didn't yell at me. (I actually have really nice managers, if not a bit OCD)

3:30 - Take out second batch of bread, roll, pound, slice, and put in proofer. Package the pies, through extra cookie dough at the Midday Baker while he sings along to the rock version of "My Girl". (Seriously? Who makes a rock version of My Girl!?!)

3:45 - Put first batch of bread on the sales floor in which customers are angry that the fresh 4:00 bread did not come out at 3:00, and in which I give them my signature "Are you for real?" look.

 January 17, 2006 | Retail Comic


4:00 - Talk to the poor checkers up front and get up to date on more gossip while pretending to fill the bread baskets.

4:30 - roll, pound, slice, and proof the last batch of bread. Begin cleaning the floors.

5:00 - Take my lunch! yum! And be the unfortunate victim of Blondie and Hellgirl's discussion on what they do with their boyfriends. *shudder* They're only 16 years old!

                                                                  BLONDIE
                                                               Possible Hooker
                                               Juvenile Delinquent tried as an adult

                                                                 HELLGIRL
                                                             Juvenile delinquent
                                                                   on parole

Possibly see the Bread Boy (who doesn't work in the Bakery), and a very angry Wonder Woman (who Bread Boy is hopelessly in love with but Wonder Woman hates with a passion. Isn't that how it always goes?).

                                                               BREAD BOY
                                                         Delinquent student loans
                                    Could be a lifer, to early to tell if he'll make parole

                                                         WONDER WOMAN
                                                                Prison Guard
                                                                     Lifer

 Make a point to avoid Ginger Bread Man, (Bread Boy's old man. Prison runs in the family.)

                                                 GINGER BREAD MAN
                                                    Thinks he's the Warden
                                                Manages the Visitor Center
                                                         Lifer, no parole

5:30 - Lunch is over, cry.

6:00 - every one in the Bakery but me goes home.

6:15: Put out six o'clock bread because no one feels the need to bake it while I'm at lunch. customers yell at me. Do the roll/bagel discounts. Clean the floors. Argue with customers who feel the need to order a cake for 8:00 in the morning and have to explain why we don't have a night time cake decorator. Get a returned/half eaten carrot cake because it had to many carrots in it(? I know).

Retail work



7:00 - Discount donuts. say hello to bread boy, and make another hunger Games reference that he doesn't understand. Clean the doughnut case. Consider a Bakery Girl Superhero comic pitch.
 *Insert Superhero Music Here*

                   BAKERY GIRL TO THE RESCUE!

                            Saving the world from Anorexia one doughnut at a time!

Bread Boy says the pitch needs help. I don't think he has enough vision.

8:00 - second/first break depending on how busy it is. Read a book.

8:15 - Go back to work. Empty the bread baskets up front. Wrap the bread, and do the dishes. Throw a dish rag at Banana Man for scaring the crap out of me.

                                                             BANANA MAN
                                             helps transition inmates back to reality
                                                                      lifer

9:00 - If needed, take second break. Continue reading book. Bread Boy goes home which means I get a hug if the next day is his day off.

9:15 - Restock all supplies, deep clean.

10:00 - CLOCK OUT!!!!!! Dance a little bit. Consider buying dinner/something delicious and then realize that The Dealer is still working Self Check-Out, which is the only thing left open. So instead I leave hungry.

10:30ish- Get home after missing my driveway because I was singing along to Springsteen on the radio. Raid the fridge, and find only Hot Pockets because they were on sale AND I got my employee discount on them! I'm cheap, I know. Eat a hot pocket, watch whatever show was TiVoed  (Preferably Once Upon a Time, or Falling Skies) while writing, reading, or surfing the Internet where I find awesome videos like this:

Great singer, and I love the song!

12:00ish - Go to bed!

REPEAT

That's my weekday! Hope it was....entertaining?


See ya'll next week!
Avent-Garde

P.S. Admit it, the Arabic alphabet is now stuck in your head ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment