Friday, July 20, 2012

Second Star to the Right


I have a wide interest in books, ranging from Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman to Delirium by Lauren Oliver, to anything Tolkien (Glorfindel FTW!), and ending with The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. It's hard to pick a favorite book when your reading ranges so much.

I have always had a love for the Simple Love story's most of all, especially ones focusing around the story of Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. I remember reading Wendy by Karen Wallace in middle school and loving it! Just this month a new book called Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson has arrived on shelves and it tells the story of Peter Pan as a sidenote to Tiger Lily's story.

 Tiger Lily

I just finished this book a few days ago and it might feel premature to call it my favorite just yet, but it is very high up on the list. I loved the characters, especially Tik Tok who stole my heart from the beginning, and Tink (who is telling the story).
It shines a more realistic view onto Captian Hook and why he hates Peter Pan and how Wendy really came to the island (not by flying unfortunately). It also shows an interesting view of missionaries through the Sky Eaters (Tiger Lily's people) view.

On A side Note:
I have always loved story's like Peter Pan or Narnia, the kind you grow up with and hold a special place in your heart. If your 21 though, and reading those stories for the first time, of course they are not going to have the same effect. They are meant for imaginative children, not boring adults who pay bills all day! That's why book have age ranges! And before you do a review you really need to pin down the audience for the book, maybe you didn't like the princess love story okay, but your 30 and the book is meant for thirteen year olds! See why you didn't like it?!

Peter Pan   Wendy  The Chronicles of Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) 
“You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.” - Peter Pan

____________________________________________________________________


Simple Love is only one of my top two Genre's, the second is Dystopian with a twist. Delirium falls into this catagory, and though it is a great book, my favoirte for this genre would be Angelfall by Susan Ee.

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

This is a great out-of-the-box book with Neil Gaiman creativity. It's Post Apocalyptic where the angels came back for the second coming of the Lord, but the people get spooked and gun Gabriel down. So in retaliation the angels go on this huge killing spree, basically, and that's how you get your apocalypse.
It follows Penryn, the main character, after her sister is taken by the angels, so she kidnaps one to 'torture' information out of. They ebd up teaming up begrudgingly and go to find her sister. Oh, and her psycho mother who sees demons follows them along the way.
All in all, one of the best books I've ever read and another at the top of my list.

“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?” -Angelfall


___________________________________________________________________________

Delirium (Delirium, #1) Neverwhere   The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)


I know Wesleycat already mentioned Cassandra Clare, but I love her books and she's always been so nice to her fans (which matters, alot). My favorite series of hers is The Infernal Devices.:)
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)  Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)  Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)



Well I hope that gave you an idea of my favorites and some books to read in the future! Can't wait to read your posts next week everybody!





"Never say goodbye, because goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting." - Peter Pan

TGIF BFTBA and TNG (This is Not a Goodbye),
Avent-Garde

No comments:

Post a Comment