Thursday, August 23, 2012

First day of high school and forgotten letters

I haven't had my first day of uni/college yet, so I'm going to talk about my first day of high school. I'd been told so many conflicting stories about it. Some people seemed to think it was a complete nightmare, while others seemed to be having the time of their life. (With hindsight I'd say it was neither) 

Our first day started with the principal holding a speech in the assembly hall. I wasn't really paying attention, I was too busy nervously scanning the room in search of familiar faces, but I couldn't find anyone, and since I'm really shy I found that extremely daunting.  The only person who really caught my attention was a girl with this huge 80s hair-do that looked like a lion mane, which was even more daunting. One of the teachers then had us write letters to ourselves, which she actually saved and handed back to us on the day of our graduation. We had so much fun reading those letters, because by that time we'd forgotten all about ever writing them, and everything in our lives had changed so much. The girl next to me at that first assembly and the 80s lion mane girl were now two of my best friends. It was almost like reading a letter from a different person, even though it was just a younger version of myself. Have any of you ever done anything similar? I'd really love to do something like that again some day, it was so cool :) 

Sorry if this post was a bit all over the place, I'm really tired. I hope you all have a really nice weekend! 

- Philippa

1 comment:

  1. Phillipa I had an English teacher who had us write letters to ourselves the last day of 8th grade (right before we went to high school) and she mailed them to us our last year of high school. And I completely understand I had changed a lot in 4 years and I am sure if I read it again this year I would be even more blown away. Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete